Thursday, May 17, 2007

The First (Topless) Strip Club of Portland


Mary's Club is practically a landmark in Portland since its inception back in 1954, and its addition of topless dancers in 1965. Now Mary's wasn't going to qualify for my book, and this blog isn't about Portland's many "academies of dance" - of which there are many. Still, I liked the grittiness of this shot, and if you haven't been inside, well, some things just have to be experienced.

Which brings up the question: Does Portland have any successful blogs out there devoted to these unique establishments? I know there must be, but I haven't seen one (or rather I have not spent time actively looking)... some one please make a liar out of me. Seems like an easy way to make some coin in this town.
Add to Technorati Favorites

5 comments:

Jmartens said...

hmmm, a blog dedicated to portlands stip clubs....good idea!

I once saw a t-shirt that read "I support young women putting themselves through college by working in interpritive dance."

Anonymous said...

I would totally buy that shirt! Hilarious. Has anyone been to Mary's? Me and some guy friends went after a Harvey's show. Now I have seen a few "clubs" in my 5 yrs since I turned 21... Mary's was the only place I have seen or even heard of a stripper refusing to dance til crowd members gave her money for the juke box (they have to pay their own money for the juke box!) Totally trashy, worth while experience!

Elizabeth said...

And the little Mexican restaurant attached to Mary's has great burritos. El Grillo. You can sit at a table, listen to the strip music and the men whistling and hollering, eat your burrito and then watch the old, sweaty men come through the adjoining door to get some grub. It's like being in a strip club, without being in a strip club.

Distilled.Publishing@gmail.com said...

A Strip club for sweaty old men who want to eat... vaguely sounds like a Hooters without the family atmosphere :)

Double Dring said...

Devoted to stripclubs yes, but not in portland: http://doubledring.blogspot.com/